Role & Responsibilities:
- Analyzing the functions of a child’s behavior with input from the rest of the team. An Antecedents, Behavior, Consequence (ABC) format is often employed as a way to figure out what purpose the behavior potentially serves for the child.
- Creating realistic and functional plans of action to work with the child and the family on reducing the incidence of maladaptive behaviors.
- Educating and monitoring the team on the implementation of behavior plans and proactive strategies.
- Devising appropriate reinforcement schedules and motivational systems.
- Supporting skills/strategies to work on issues of anxiety, compulsions, rigidity and stereotypic behaviors.
- Providing support and strategies in the development of functional play skills and promotion of social skills.
- Promoting safe and successful community participation for the child and family as a whole.
- Carrying appropriate liability insurance as required.
- Work environment: family’s home, community, and/or online
- Behavior consultants – diploma/degree (or equivalent)and/or experience in a related field
- Psychologist – graduate or post-graduate degrees in Psychology or related field
- Registration with the appropriate governing body, if required
- Experience working with children on the autism spectrum and/or with other special needs
- Current criminal records check and child/youth intervention check
- Alberta driver’s license/vehicle